Fires have the potential to be completely devastating. The question is whether you rebuild or move on from the damage. After considering the costs and work involved when you decide to rebuild, there are a few steps to follow.
- Safety: Get a professional to inspect the structure’s quality. Look for the required qualifications to ensure the correct categories are evaluated. Understanding the repairs needed will help give you information you didn’t even realize you should know.
- Health: Toxic chemicals can remain from the fire damage. The chemicals can cause skin, respiratory, or eye issues. Long-term health risks to be aware of after a fire include cancer, heart attack, and stroke. Not only do you need to remove any damaged materials properly, but also any surrounding items that may have been contaminated by the chemicals released by those damaged materials.
- Insurance: As soon as you’re able, check your insurance and coverage. Most insurance policies cover a fire in terms of the damaged building, its contents, and the property it sits on. Review your policy to see the amount covered for a rebuild. Then, make sure you have a good adjuster on your side to help you through the process.
- Permits: A rebuild requires building permits. You get permits in case of emergencies or natural disasters because all structures must meet minimum standards protecting occupants and neighbors. Application fees vary based on the amount of changes made to the original building.
- Experts: Finding professional help can make each of the other steps go much more smoothly. In a situation that can feel so overwhelming and emotional, experts can come in with their knowledge and experience to handle the work. They can provide estimated costs, identify what to rebuild, and aid in each part of the process.
Remember to take things one step at a time and prioritize your safety and well-being. With patience and perseverance, you can recover from fire damage and rebuild your home.
When you have fire damage and need a professional on your side, know that LM Companies is licensed for fire and smoke damage and restoration. We are available 24-7 for water, fire, and odor damage in Northeast Ohio, including all major holidays! Contact us today to begin the process of restoring your residential or commercial property.