- By Lou
- In Renovation
6 Types of Biohazards Waste (and Safety Levels)
A biohazard is a biological material that poses a threat to living organisms’ health. Each kind has a specific cleanup method to adhere to, but there is professional help trained to meet those standards. As biohazardous waste can be harmful, it’s important to be aware of the dangers.
- Blood: This generally pertains to human blood and materials with visible blood on them. Anything affected with blood will need proper handling.
- Animal: Pieces or carcasses of animals are considered biohazards. Additionally, any bedding or toys that animals with pathogenic organisms may have infected must be disposed of safely.
- Fluids: Human bodily fluids (saliva, semen, amniotic fluid, etc.) cause a lot of concern for contaminants. Ensuring their safe destruction is paramount.
- Microbiological: This type of waste is usually found in laboratories. You must follow procedures for getting rid of specimen cultures, viruses, devices for mixing cultures, etc.
- Pathological: Any non-skin human tissue, biopsy materials, and parts from procedures and autopsies fall into the pathological biohazard category. It may seem obvious, but there needs to be a certain set of parameters to stick to in order to dispose of these items properly.
- Sharps: You know needles have special biohazard bins, but glass slides, cover slips, tubing, and scalpels are included in sharp instruments that need to be carefully thrown away. They pose a big risk of transferring diseases and dangerous substances otherwise.
Now that you know some of the most common biohazards, you should also be familiar with the four biohazard levels.
- These are minimal threats.
- These can cause severe human illness and transfer through direct contact.
- These pathogens can become airborne and cause serious diseases.
- These pathogens have no treatments and are at a high risk of causing life-threatening diseases.
If you have any concerns about contaminants or biohazards waste materials, do not take a chance; call a professional. LM Companies is licensed for biohazards cleanup. We are available 24-7 in Northeast Ohio, including all major holidays! Contact us today to begin the process of restoring your residential or commercial property.